The White Rabbit that should have stayed as a sweet

The good memories of white rabbits I have, are the ever-nostalgic white rabbit milk sweets from china and the retro rabbit character from Alice in Wonderland.

That's probably the ONLY memories I will want to keep, because the visit to the new over-rated and over-hyped White Rabbit at Dempsey, was abysmal.

True to form of most establishments in Dempsey, they boast of great ambience but fail to impress even in the simplest of declared signatures from the Kitchen. Taking over the old Ebenezer Chapel on Harding Road opposite Au Petite Salut, the place oozes much charm and comes brightly alive with voices ringing through the high ceilings. So imagine my disappointment when none of the dishes that came highly recommended were above decent average. And to think this was hailed one of the "must-trys" by respected critics in the food and blogging industry. One of the "must-avoids" I say.

I normally shy from giving extremely bad reviews. I'll be the first to boldly admit I'm no food connoisseur. I sometimes eat to live more then live to spend my days eating. So when a place is really bad in my books, take a leaf from it. If people say its the teething periods of any new kitchen,... well, only time will prove me wrong I suppose.

Q and I started with the Prawn Bisque and foie gras. The prawn bisque was highly recommended, served generous compliments on the facebook group. And since I like coconut and the laksa souffle sounded so interesting, we ordered despite my allergy to prawns. The soup was a little bland, without much richness of the seafood. The coconut souffle unfortunately did not complement the broth either.

Next for our mains, we shared the white rabbit mac and cheese and and rack of lamb. The mac and cheese was the ultimate disappointment. European comfort food should be robust, full of flavour and so simple, it's an art. Mac and Cheese falls into such a category. Kenny Rogers mac and cheese could have won hands down. The cheese was sharp rather then creamy and homely, the rustic comfort glow did not come through. And it most certainly did not have that the main reason I ordered the dish in the first place - black truffles and truffle sauce - did nothing to accentuate the flavours.


The lamb did salvage a few points. But was forgettable because it was decent, not great.

Needless to say, we declined dessert. I doubt we will be going back anytime ever..

No comments:

Post a Comment