Pierre Herme - The Patissier King Pin

Doesn't take much to figure my complete obsession with macaroons. Surely my repeated postings from Canele's gives a subtle hint. So when in Paris, how can I not set aside a little time to pay the infamous Pierre Herme a visit?!

I have many a food blogs and reviews on Canele to thank for giving me the privilege to come into the knowledge of such a brilliant creator of all things fused into sugary creative pieces.

The shop itself is a petite front, most certainly not telling of this man's fame and ingenuity to pastries and chocolates. What was telling, was the non-stop forming queue outside the shoppe.
Loaded with anticipation -unfazed by the rain -(this was one big reason I couldn't wait to hop on the plane to Paris!) we joined the queue.

Nearing the entrance of the shop, I understand the reason for the queue. For one, there are no tables or chairs. Just a simple but simply dazzling dessert counter on the left, a walk way in the middle and shelves stacked with pretty packed biscuits and encased chocolate displays.
Simplicity won't even begin to describe it because when we glance at the luxurious desserts showcased on the runway, any Bakerzin, Canele or Patisserie in Singapore just seems to pale in comparison. I would love to post a picture, but I fear I might get sued.

Our choices had to be swift and decisive. The waiters and I am sure the patrons behind me have no patience for wishy-washy. We settled for three small pastries, and a 30 macaroon box for our families back home. Of course 30 pieces weren't enough with the selection of flavours, so I got a few more loose pieces, just for G and myself to try...first. =p

Tucked in our little hotel room and toasty warm and dry out of the rain, we couldn't wait to see just how different this lauded Master is from his international disciples.

The Frasier was G's favourite. The soft fragrant sponge soaked with the strawberry liqueur was subtlety but very distinctly flavoured with Pistachio. The pistachio cream and strawberries were so fresh and they complimented each other so well.

My favourite, no surprise, is the infamous Ispahan. I should shoot myself. I almost didn't want to order it because I thought it would be too similar to the macaroons and should order something else instead. But thankfully G just told me to order whatever I wanted to try.

Of course, I have to eat it in layers. The macaroon shell was so crisp and yet so moisture and absolutely yummy. The rose petal cream was sweet but not empowering with the floral scent. I total delight. The berries gave the macaroon shell and rose cream a balancing tartness. The lychee chunks in the middle was so fresh and just so out of place that the fused flavour is probably what makes the Ispahan such a big hit and a favourite. I am craving it again as we speak.

G and I came to the conclusion that Pierre Herme comes out tops with his cakes and macaroons that come in such weird and 'un-thinkable of by the common patissier and baker' type fused flavours. They taste heavenly. The cakes are the right textures and moisture. The macaroons are the right soft and crispness and sweetness. It was truly an experience. And like all luxurious experiences, they don't come cheap. Each individual pastry was priced at about 6 Euros and the macaroons go by weight and my frenzy macaroon selection came up to 28 Euros.
Do the maths, Mr Herme is one wealthy sweetie!

Pierre Herme
72, rue Bonaparte
75006 Paris
Also at: 185, rue de Vaugirard, 75015 Paris

No comments:

Post a Comment