Just when Pigs couldn't Possibly be Tastier

I love red meat. I love my pork cutlets, my Wagyu beef, my juicy chicken drumsticks.
So imagine my ecstasy when G took me to a Japanese restaurant in the new Central with the promise of a wonderful new pork.. not just any juicy pork, but from a Black Pig.


With the proliferation of Japanese restaurants, fancy and tradition, Waraku to Ma Maison, Tomton is a simple wood-furnished exterior but donned extravagantly with a flat screen LCD featuring Japanese cuisine.


Of course I wouldn't be true to form if I didn't go Jap and have my absolute all-time favourite - Jap curry! I had my curry fix with their premium black pig tonkatsu. It's like having the wagyu version of pork. The visible marbling made each slice of juicy pork, so tender and tasty and of course, so heart stopping.



G had the shabu shabu set with the necessary big platter of vegetables and the shoulder and loin of the black pig. The accompanying dipping sauce was very interesting. Initial queer and caution quickly gave way to refreshing slurps. It seems to be the same sauce used to dip soba with, but there was a distinct taste of lime and ginger.




Plain, straight from the boiling water, the pork - both shoulder and loin had a natural sweetness and tenderness unlike most normal pork slices at regular steamboats. Sliced so thinly, they cook in seconds to a nice tender and juicy bite. I had to start removing the fat though after the 3rd or 4th slice, was starting to feel the fat clogging my arteries. Tried to remedy the guilt with some of the vegetables provided... The mushrooms and carrots surprisingly going quite well with the dipping sauce too. The set also comes with glass noodles to complete the meal with the essential carbo fix. Quite a substantial amount of food for two people.

A good tasting premium pork naturally comes with a 'good-looking' premium price tag. Won't be something worth trading the normal old pork we eat everyday, but at least worth that 1 experience.

Tom Ton Central
The Central#03-88/99
63277887
11.30am to 11pm
www.cfc.com.sg

No comments:

Post a Comment