And my Sister Cooks

It's been more then a year now and someone has successfully kidnapped my sister of the old and swapped her with a cook, and probably, a chef in the making.

It started with a few hits and misses, a few tasty snacks occasionally and now, it's become 3 or 4 course dinners on weekends with dishes like truffle Shepard's pie, braised ox-tail, roasted wagyu rump, squid ink risotto, etc. I still remember our younger days when she would beg me to make a bowl of Indo-mee with an egg for her and scoff at the notion of even stepping into a kitchen for anything more then to pour a glass of water.

Now, a refurnished kitchen and 2 Pantry Magic oven mittens later, it's hard to keep her out of the kitchen even. So to do her some justice, and to my poor Brother-in-law B who has to painstakingly scrub out the deep fryer and cast-iron pot at the end of the evening's work, I though I should start capturing some of her culinary achievements and feats.


Our dinner on Sunday started with some home-made salsa and chips. Followed by some buttermilk fried chicken. The fried chicken was quite yummy, holding their crisp even coming out of the deep fryer for quite awhile. They did remind me of the fried chicken mum used to make when we were young.
Next was a seafood Paella. It was really good for a first attempt. It helped of course that there was a generous amount of scallop, prawns and chorizo.

Finally, we had a beef stew. This was the 2nd time L was attempting this. She has this thing about 'practising' to perfect the right amounts of salt and timing for her stew. Almost there!

We ended dinner with some home-made chocolate chip pound cake that Karen came over earlier to make together with L. The heavenly smells had already filled the entire apartment in the afternoon so I had already snuck in a slice before dinner.


Anyone like an invite for dinner, or enjoy being Guinea pigs to kitchen experiments, do let me know! I think the next attempt would be my late beloved Kong Kong's chicken rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment