Itacho @ Ion Orchard


Ok, I won't claim it's fantabulous sushi, but it's pretty reasonable and decent quality Japanese fare for the price you pay and for the location it's at. Plonked at one of the hotspots within the Ion, Itacho adds up to the several Japanese food outlets within the Ion that will certainly draw crowds streaming from Isetan, or intercept the trendy young kids MRT commuters passing by for a Dunkin donut or on their way to Borders or Sakae Sushi at the Wheelock.

The menu is perpetually flooded with chef recommendations, specials and promotion. The sushi offerings are abundant and they are priced as per piece. That's good for single diners or for greedy foodies such as ourselves who want to try everything. But it's naturally confusing for regular Sakae and Sushi Tei diners who think the prices indicated are standard for 2 pieces of sushi per plate.

Of course I had to have my otoro - one of every kind, with tendon, with less tendon and aburi. All of which I would say is pretty decent.

The single servings for sushi worked out well for Hubby who loves an occasional Ebi sushi.

It's rare to find pumpkin tempura in a Japanese menu. The cubes of pumpkin were soft and piping hot within, light and crispy on the outside. I would have liked the pumpkin a little naturally sweeter.

The soy sauce salmon was interesting, but I guess I am only ever really interested in otoro in any Japanese Sushi menu. :)



Although this is the first time I saw wagyu beef - raw and aburi being offered. Raw wagyu beef is a little too hardcore for me so I took the aburi while Hubby went for the raw. The beef was indeed tender and marbling was visible, but it was disappointingly bland and lacked the punch of a good wagyu.




The jumbo scallop sushi was yumy and so was the unagi which came in a pretty generous portion. Unagi is normally too sweet and 'boney' for my liking, but Itacho served it well - lightly seasoned so that the sweetness doesn't overpower the fresh natural sweetness.

We had sweet potato endings while Grayden polished off his dinner. This was utterly disappointing, any donut from Dunkin donuts next door would have satisfied my sweet tooth instead of this. I expected it to come warm but instead it came stone cold and the potatoes had turned hard. I would recommend to skip dessert. You can get your sweet fix at the Marmalade pantry or even bread society next door.


Itacho Sushi (ION Orcahrd)
2 Orchard Turn
#B2-18 Ion Orchard
Tel: +65 6509 8911

No comments:

Post a Comment