Borgo - A birthday treat

February marks the start of many many birthdays.
A close friend turned 28 on the 11th of Feb and his only request was to be fed.
So I had to do him some justice. Painstakingly I tried to source for some decent nosh to feed the hungry. Ok, maybe its not the best place for a birthday celebration. But it was a nice, quaint little italian hole in the hip and trendy Bukit Timah stretch, so I figured to give it a go.

After turning up like an hour after our reservation time, I must say the staff treated us pretty decently. He showed us to our table and offered us the menus.
We were pretty starved by that time, so most of the attention was focused on the "Chef's specials".
G and I sampled the Crayfish with Broccoli Sauce, the Ossobuco Della Chef (veal shank cooked in red wine brown sauce and served with creamy cheese risotto rice) and the homemade Gnocchi with Pumpkin Sauce. The crayfish blew me away. Not one for the veggies, this tomato cream sauce appetiser was really yummy, no sign or taste of broccoli at all and the crayfish was springy and most importantly, fresh.
I'm always a sucker for Gnocchi. Introduced to this homemade comfort food during my stint in Melbourne, I always had to order this whenever I see it in an Italian menu. "Home-made" and "Gnocchi", these two words together always hits the soft spot for the evil carbs.
This dish was really delightful. Unlike most places, the chef made the potato dumplings so small that they become bite-size and they melt in the mouth. I normally feel incredibly sick after a whole platter but I was nicely full-up with this one.
The Ossobuco was passable. But unless u like your risotto rice slightly chewy, you might want to sample some of the other chef specials.
My dinner companions ordered the Rib Eye steak and the cheese ravioli.
The rib eye was disappointing. The total of five raviolis stuffed with a cheese and truffle was good according to my cheese-loving friend. I'm not a big fan of cheese and truffles, so a mouthful of truffles was not too pleasant for me. Although the cheese did add a yummy flavour.


We were terribly stuffed after the main courses, but we still had to go for the sweet endings.

Since G's not too fond of chocolate, he went for the safe but traditional tiramisu. I had to try the Caprese 'Almond Cake and C went for the Lava cake.

OK OK, I am sorry, I will attempt to take better complete photos with the next blog. =)

The almond cake was a tad dry and the lava cake a little too rich for my liking. The tiramisu was decent, but I guess I have to be honest in that I have had many much better.

All in all, it was a yummy dinner, shared with great company and of course you can give dessert a skip if you are not a big fan of the dry and overly rich... after all, Venezia's just round the corner in Guthrie Building... =p

Borgo

789 Bukit Timah Road (S) 269763 Tel: 6466 7762 (reservations are recommended) Closed on Tuesdays

No comments:

Post a Comment