La Strada - The new Canteen on the Block

After my recent bout of bad food, stressful and horrid projects and deadlines, going somewhere nice on a precious Friday night was one inviting offer from Hubs I couldn't resist. After much deliberation and surfing through a few old reviews untried and tested, my dear considerate husband decided on La Strada, so that would leave me some time after dinner to catch some equally precious shopping time.

The famous Italian restaurant at Shaw Centre has changed hands, looks and chefs so any times, to be perfectly honest, I didn't know what was their speciality anymore. After a few reviews, it seems, the chef had added a humble wood-fire oven and pizzeria counter to the fine-dinning Italian restaurant and ironically, this has caused more stir.
Don't know if its the strong influence of Bonta, or just plain greediness, we decided to share the quail and foie gras ravioli for our appetisers for want of not feeling nauseous just on the first course. Unfortunate for us and La Strada, they weren't kidding when the singular was used on the ravioli in the menu. It was terribly embarrassing to have a single ravioli sitting prettily on it's bed of mushrooms and juices, shared among two very evidently hungry diners. Apart from the portions, the ravioli was quite yummy. The pasta shell was well cooked and the foie gras, firm and not too mushy.

I savoured only a little bite and left the rest for G. Had to save some stomach space for my recommended beef ribs and G's signature mud crab tagliolini. I would have loved to try their pizza's but hubs hates pizza and I wasn't about to entertain binging on an entire pizza all by myself, even though it was a friday night.
When my beef ribs arrived, I knew almost immediately that it was the perfect choice for me. A little on the small side, the braised beef ribs was so soft and tender. The tangy and creamy tomato sauce complemented by reinforcing a nice fuzzy warm feeling of 'rustic, comfort food'.

I felt bad for hubby though, he didn't really seem to enjoy his pasta. Based on appearance, I wouldn't have marked this signature as over-rated and a disappointment. Laced generously with fresh crab meat and herbs, it seems like it packed quite a punch. The smell of the crab was a little too over-powering, the white wine and olive oil was too faint. Overall, the dish failed to marvel. Sad.

So with mixed opinions on the offerings on 'the street', we decided to roll out our verdict only after we had dessert. The sweet treats were extensive in selection and all decadently tempting. Safe from ordering the whole selection, we zoomed in on a dessert platter for two. Served on a long platter, we had the tiramisu (G's choice), Italian doughnuts with warm chocolate sauce (my choice), mixed berry jelly with champagne foam, dark chocolate lava cake, rich vanilla panna cotta and a raspberry cheesecake.
And everything was good..
All the right textures and flavours; richness, and smoothness; sweetness and tartness, perfect endings.

Well 3 out of 4, that's not too bad. Although, I don't expect we will be coming back here. Strangely enough, we never revisit most of our Italian haunts.. Sans Bonta of course. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment