Miss Clarity - Your Cafe has Made me Seen Clearer

There has been soo much hype and hoop-lah revolving around the Miss Clarity Cafe along Purvis street. So when they opened a second one along Thomson Road, I was ecstatic. Finally, I get to try the place without so much as melting off a pound of fat walking 15 minutes to the Purvis street cafe from my office building for lunch.

The bubblegum interior furnishing I must say, appeal to the young and hippy Uni undergrads. Plastered along the walls are cute pictures of stick-skinny happy looking girls (no wonder this place coined its catch-phrase as "Where happy people meet) giving the place a sense of youthful vibrancy. The pink and green colour splashes throughout probably help to intensify the character of the cafe too I suppose.

The food unfortunately, left much awanting. The menu was however, one-kind of extensive!
A little over the top and alot of an identity crisis displayed - specials come from all possible cuisines, Italian, Chinese Western, French, Hainanese, and even Spanish! Taking a stab in the dark, my close girlfriend and I shared an order of cheese fries, lobster linguini and lamb with a Provence crust.

Our leap of faith paid off for the cheese fries. The cheese was absolutely yummy. Nothing of the cheap creamy curds you get at movie theatres with the stale nachos. Oh no... our fries were served with a full glass aside of creamy fresh melted cheddar cheese. So sweet, and creamy, the only gribe I had was the thick-cut soggy fries that came with. Next time I'm bring my own nachos or an empty container.. =p

The mains failed to impress though. The lamb was ordinary and even though the four lamb chops were served with a generous heap of tomato sauce, the lamb felt dry and tasteless.

The pasta didn't fare any better. The pasta was decently done in a tomato base sauce but the biggest faux pas for any restaurant/cafe to commit has got to be the freshness of the food served. The lobster wasn't too fresh and probably put me off any seafood from this place if I do come back for a second visit.

The cafe seems to manage on the snacks and light bites, but I think with the mains, there seems to be a struggle to get even the basics and simple touches right. Perhaps it would be ideal to remove a substantial portion of the menu and focus on getting a few simple favourites right.

For desserts, they have a range of delectable sinful cakes or an equally sinful choice of Ben & Jerrys' ice cream. We went for the chocolate lava cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

My chocoholic friend, who eats chocolate in any form and loves chocolate in many forms, proclaimed that this has got to be the worse chocolate lava cake she has ever eaten.. - and we are just going to leave it at that.

So a great place to hang out, a funky place to feel young and sweet again, a perfect pit stop for snacks and bites. But I think that's about it to this little perky cafe.

MISS CLARITY CAFE

5 Purvis Street, 01-04

Tel: 6339-4803

Open: 11am to 11pm, closed Sundays

205 Upper Thomson Road

Tel: 6256-2008

Open: 11am to 11pm, closed Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment