The Little Princess @ Sebastian's for Breakfast

My little princess of a 'niece' is so adorable I could die. Look at that greedy face, I obviously can't deny my penchant and love for dogs, they are so cute! And when they are related, I love them to bits. We had the pleasure of her highness on a lazy Saturday morning when we had Breakfast with B and L at Greenwood.

The usual laid-back suburban neighbourhood apparently comes alive with the bustling of too many an expat families bringing the kids and pets along with their bicycles to get their weekly groceries, coffee, and freshly baked bread.
Sebastian's' was already well into it's breakfast crowd as we settled into the deck chairs on the patio. Simba was also impatiently eye-balling B for her breakfast stick.

The waitress came out to take our orders and asked if we were for the regular or jumbo coffee. As you guessed, G (C calls him kopi ah-peh for good reason) ordered the jumbo. I only take sips to awake the system within, so I got the regular cup. When our coffee arrives, it's more like a giant bowl of coffee then a cup!

I was obsessed with my pancake craze again. And like the time we went to Epicuruous, they only had french toast, no dreamy fluffy pipping hot pancakes. So I ordered the french toast to side my Egg Perigourdine with soldiers.

As much as I love my lazy brunches on Saturday mornings, it was horrific to see two gigantic plates coming for me! The french toast looked golden brown lovely, with the freshly cut strawberries and icing sugar but way too overwhelming for a side order. Crispy and fragrant on the outside, cinnamon-spiced and moist on the inside, with a generous trickle of maple syrup, it was a more then satisfactory cure for my gnawing crave.

The eggs were also served an a giant platter. Richly baked with foie gras and drizzled in truffle oil, I felt guilty even ordering the potent combination at 10am in the morning. But apart from the feeling of richness, oiliness and heaviness, the eggs weren't that great. Perhaps I prefer them well-done and any variation of runny eggs just don't sit well for me. The chicken sausage and wild mushroom ragout was yummy though.

Another reason why the eggs probably didn't agree with me, was because I was coveting after B's eggs Florentine that looked sooo good! He pitied the other greedy dog next to him and gave me a pinch of the egg whites, and they were quite well done I must say.

But creativity probably ends there for the menu I suppose. It didn't take long for our four breakfast plates to settle on the table before we realised, we had pretty much ordered the same thing. We all had baked beans, a sausage, bacon and mushroom ragout. The only changes were our egg orders. So I guess variety and novelty isn't their thing.

I guess that's the thing about European / Western breakfasts, there is minimum variety. Its either bread or danishes or pancakes; eggs of all types and the usual suspects of sausages, baked beans and ham. Unlike Chinese breakfast options, (beehoon today, chweeh kueh tomorrow, kaya toast the next, etc) I guess one European cafe from another can only be differentiated by the size of their coffee cups and the premiums they place on their eggs and french toasts. Not very exciting.

Sebastien’s Bistrot

12, Greenwood Avenue Singapore 289204

Tel: 6465-1980

No comments:

Post a Comment