Canele @ Paragon

All by the same chef, all with the same black theme, all the same rich goodness.
Fortunately for occasional sweet tooth, the availability of great pastries are just a departmental store escalator away. Tucked in a little nook in the basement of the uptown and posh Paragon, is Chef Pang's second (or is it 3rd?)Canele made available to the focus shopper and leisurely tai tai.

Getting a little bored of macaroons, we thought we would try something different. If you insist on variety, then make sure you come early because at 9pm, you don't really get that many choices as you would at his flagship at Robertson Quay. I for one, never get my L'armour here.. unless I am really lucky... or really really early. So we settled for a passionfruit macaroon and the Le Royale.

The minute we sat down and took a browse through the menu, we decide to give his other desserts a try. We took a leap of faith and went with the recommended - Nougatine - and a nice pot of peppermint tea to wash it all down.
The macaroon was good as expected, but I suppose that's an acquired taste opinion considering Q gave a face when I insisted she try it. She preferred the Le Royale, but after 2 delicate bites, I gave up. Way too rich for my liking. The crunchy biscuit base and the hazelnut feullitine was really nice but the combination of such plus chocolate mousse in tow, my choco-sweetness threshold was very quickly reached.

Apart from being a work of art, the nougatine wasn't too bad either. I'm sure Chef Pang makes his own ice-cream. The praline ice-cream had the perfect finish, not too sweet and just the right sticky texture and creaminess. The hazelnut nougatine and salty caramel was just the yummy icing on the dessert.
Canele still tops my list of to-go-dessert-fixers. I wonder how their newly-opened Raffles City branch is doing, with staples and soups joining their after-meal pals in their black menus jackets. Looks like Chef Pang is doing well and it always makes me happy to see talented chefs stay employed...That means my cravings get satisfied!!

Paragon, #B1-25

290 Orchard Road, Singapore 238859

Raffles City Shopping Centre, #B1-81/82

252 North Bridge Road, Singapore 179103

4 comments:

  1. darling..i think they aren't making your l'amour anymore..
    same goes for the nice choc eclair, chloe, strawberry profiteroles...all since retired fr the menu!
    & diff outlets carry diff cakes! how horrifying!

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horr!!! You are kidding me! Oh that would be just awful..I wonder why he took them out. I seriously hope it doesn't start shapin up to be a chocolate menu..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horr!!! You are kidding me! Oh that would be just awful..I wonder why he took them out. I seriously hope it doesn't start shapin up to be a chocolate menu..

    ReplyDelete
  4. According to the staff, that one seems to be seasonal...others like le royale, classic French choc cake, strawberry shortcake, gateau choc are the perennial items.

    Eh, i pouted when he told me
    "no more eclair. no more strawberry profiterole.no more...no more..." :(

    no worries u can always get your rose fix from Bakerzin. They have this Ispahan meringue-like thingy..hope they still do! or go for macaroons lor..

    ReplyDelete