Save that Macaron!

To be honest, I was rather excited when Macaroon first opened their dining doors last year. I had heard quite a bit about Chef Pang’s cooking and his bizarre ideas for the interesting and fusion. So why did I wait so long to brave beyond the quiet white doors?

Well for starters, I had the impression they were a dessert theme restaurant. So the first time, E and I went after dinner. By then, it was seriously too late to correct the mistake. So it was Canele’s for our sugar rush and digestive teas.

The second time round, I was distracted by Bonta – my all time favourite Italian restaurant who introduced me to my discovered love for foie gras and truffle and great warm service. So again, we sheepishly avoided the overzealous waiters and zipped, hopefully unnoticed, into Canele’s again at the end of the night.

So finally, one Thursday evening, we were determined, we were going in…
Regrettably, I found out that they were struggling to stay open. Business wasn’t good (we were the only patrons the entire night) and the place really felt cold and unfriendly because of the dim and spartan interior.




So, by the end of last year, they will decide the fate of macaroon.

Hardcore Foodies out there, and people who like ambience and nice dining places to frequent on lazy quiet nights; do help to show your support to Chef Pang and the gang. The food is good!
Help the cause to keep good food on their menus, visit Macaroon today.


Between my dining companion and I, we shared a Mentaiko pasta and two main courses – Braised Veal Cheeks and the Duck Breast in a Chocolate sauce.

The Mentaiko Pasta was a very generous portion. Served with fresh greens, the pasta was moist and the mentaiko, sufficient. Because June had previously made this wonderful Italian-Jap creation for us, we already knew what to expect and anticipations was met. For most people who have never heard of mentaiko (a type of roe), let alone mentaiko pasta, you must give this a try. It's not something for the faint-hearted and its not overly greasy or heavy. Although, if you nibble like baby chicks, you might want to order to share.



The veal cheek and duck breast, are probably more heard of dishes.


But I must qualify: the beef cheek is probably one of the softest veal cheeks I have ever had. The meat was so soft but yet firm and springy to the chew. And every piece tears away from the chunk so easily.


The duck breast, was a little on the dry side. But the novel way of serving the bird with roast hazelnuts and chocolate sauce more then made up for that over-sight. Kind of queer having chocolate with duck (a quip remark from an unapologetic chocolate fanatic..) but the chocolate wasn't an overbearing sweet milk chocolate but a light chocolate flavour to compliment. Quite yummy and interesting I would say.


Ironically, we didnt stay for dessert. Maybe also cos I didn't observe any macaroons within the dessert selection. Given my penchant for macaroons, I would probably opt for dessert next door where you can get your hands on a range of exquisite and tasty cakes as well and a selection of freshly brewed tea to slide dinner down just beautifully.

Macaron
11 Unity Street, #01-09
Robertson Walk
Tel: 62357277
Closed on Mondays

No comments:

Post a Comment