Birthday Treat - Part 1 & 2: Shashlik & Mezza9



My first guest photographer!
We were having dinner with C2 and since C takes fab photos (my wonderful wedding photographer), I had him guest shoot some of my photos. I have to disclaim though that the photos showcased in this post are nothing near what he can be capable of capturing. =)


Anyway back to dinner, this was my first visit to Shashlik! For most of our dinning experiences, I always prep myself with food blogs and reviews on what to and what not to order.

For this almost 20-over-year old joint, most of the reviews painted a picture of an unglam, ancient "Jack's place" look-alike of a Russian - Hainanese restaurant. But I still felt excited because I had always wanted to give this place a try and figured since they were Hainanese, I couldn't possible dislike the food too much.



For appetisers, we ordered C's highly recommended Borsch soup. The soup was indeed tasty served with actually pieces of beef and chunky vegetables. We also ordered the escargots and baked oysters but like their boring names, they were nothing out of the ordinary and C & G felt the oysters could afford to be fresher.





For our mains, I was tempted by the baked lobster and decided to give that a go even though the Beef / Lamb Shashlik was apparently the signatures to order. My dining companions went for the Beef Shashlik and the Beef Goulash



The lobster was de-shelled and served with very fragrant rice. This was good for convenient and hassle free eating, but that meant one could expect the meat to be a little overcooked. The beef shashlik was tender but not as flavoursome as I had expected. Served on a sizzling hot plate with vegetables on the side is really reminded me of Jack's Place - so typical Hainanese - and couldn't help but chuckle at the thought expressed in the reviews.

We were unable to try their acclaimed Baked Alaska as they don't serve that on weekdays, so maybe we'll have to come back again for that - but probably just for only that.
All in all a pleasant experience, but I probably won't make a special second trip back.

Sweets unsatisfied, we trooped down to Mezza9 for drinks and desserts.


From the top left corner: summer berry trifle with white sherry, raspberry, chocolate and coconut sherbet, soft centered varlhona manjari chocolate cake,
From the bottom left corner: white chocolate and espresso parfait, hazelnut meringue, butterscotch and baileys, fruit and almond tart with filo pastry with amaretto ice cream


White chocolate truffle cake and Summer Breeze

Between the four of us, we had the Mezza9 dessert and the White chocolate truffle cake. The dessert extravaganza is perfect for greedy and indecisive diners like myself. It plates up a combination of at least 3 to 4 choices of desserts within the a la carte dessert menu so you don't have to tear your hair out deciding between them all - but make sure you have accommodating dining companions that are willing to share!

Each of the desserts were really good. Since I am more of a berry then chocolate fan, my overall favourite was the summer berry trifle. My dining companions preferred the varlhona choc cake and the white chocolate truffle cake.

Thanks C2 for the lovely treat and the sweet endings! =)

Shashlik#06-19,
Far East Shopping Centre
545 Orchard Road, 238882
Tel: 67326401

Mezza9Mezzanine,
Grand Hyatt Singapore10 Scotts Road, 228211
Tel: 64167189

No comments:

Post a Comment