Pancake Breakfast Experiment



Ever since I read on Chubby Hubby about the pancake breakfast he made for S and himself, I couldn't help daydreaming about pancake breakfasts myself. Then one Thursday night as I was lounging in bed, I asked Hubs how he felt about having a homemade pancake breakfast on Saturday with the full works - fruit, sausages, ham and eggs. Judging from his greedy smirk, I gathered it was time to actively look for a pancake recipe to try.

I went back to Chubby Hubby's website because I thought the wholemeal pancakes he made would be perfect for our healthy simple Saturday morning breakfast. He adapted his pancakes from Bill Granger's celebrity cookbook for Wholemeal Pikelets with Butter, Lemon and Sugar. Fully aware of my ability to burn water, I decided to be less adventurous and recreated the same recipe sans the butter, lemon and sugar.

Adapted Pancakes (makes 2 big ones), from Bills food by Bill Granger
125g wholemeal flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons raw sugar
1 egg
170ml milk
butter, for greasing the pan



The batter was fairly simple to make although it took us quite a while to sift the wholemeal flour. In my excitement after the batter was prepared, I lowered my guard and released my inhibited adventurous side. I was wondering how cool it would be to make pancakes in the shape of gingerbread men! I had bought the cookie cutters last Dec for Christmas but never got round to making gingerbread cookies. I mean, how cool would it be for Hubs to have wholemeal pancake men right?

Turns out I was sooo wrong. Cookie cutters do not stable pancake moulds make...
The moment I poured the batter in, pancake man started to leak and disfigure. What to do?!Revert obediently back to boring round pancakes.

But apart from the little hiccup, the pancakes turned out great!
We could taste the wholesome yummy goodness. Hubs had his with Bananas and maple syrup. I had mine with the yummiest Korean strawberries and a dollop of heavenly Häagen-Dazs Strawberry Cheesecake Ice cream... =)

1 comment:

  1. attempted those pancakes today and they indeedmade me feel really healthy~

    shall try mine with bananas too next time! (:

    ReplyDelete