Gnocchi Dinner Disaster


I was really excited about trying out my new cookbook over the weekend.
When I browsed and discovered they had a recipe for Gnocchi, all caution was thrown into the wind and I boldly told G that I was going to be making a yummy Ricotta Cheese Gnocchi in Tomato Pesto for dinner.
It was all turning out fine during the pesto preparation. Despite a few burns from the juicy fresh tomatoes spitting in the olive oil, the tomato pesto was coming along perfectly. I made every attempt to follow the recipe's specification for finely ground pine nuts and basil leaves to the letter. The pesto turned out tasty with a hint of basil and Parmesan cheese, the only complaint was it was a little too oily.
The entire dish crashed and burned when it came to making the gnocchi itself. I knew that making gnocchi from scratch was going to be the main challenge for the evening, clearly my adventurous side was allowed to run wild again. *sigh*
Taking the warnings within the book about adding too much flour to the extreme, the dough turned out too wet. As a result, the gnocchi cooked too fast on the outside but remained a little mushy on the inside and most of them disintegrated in the boiling water before I even had time to cry "It's ruined! - Sob!"
Poor hubby, home cooked yummy Italian became home delivered soggy fast food from our good friends at the Yellow "M". I was really upset but he remained supportive =), suggesting we try it again together the next time round.
I managed to salvage a few pieces for him to take this miserable photo. Although, when I tried the gnocchi after, it generally tasted quite good, and that kind of lifted my battered spirit a notch.
Bitter cooking reminder #1 - start with simple things first.

No comments:

Post a Comment