Sabai - Authentic Thai Cuisine

I certainly don't profess to be an exciting individual. I'm not ashamed to admit I treasure my nights at home where we packet or cook simply from where ever or whatever is convenient. I appreciate the comforts and familiarity of our own home where I can eat in front of my TV or computer watching DVDs, in my pajamas, in my lazy element.

But there is also something about pre-weekend nights and the crave to have a relaxing night out, with the Hubs, and his and my favourite hobbies - eating and shopping! Enjoying free parking at Takashimaya was just the spectacular icing on the cake.

Sabai is located directly opposite Coca Steamboat. Despite the fact that both are compatriots (Coca originated from Thailand and apparently the buffet there is so much cheaper), they could not be more different. Coca, is perpetually fully booked and bustling, fed by tray loads of no-frills raw food at almost every table and hires Chinese nationals as wait staff where you can train for biceps trying to flag down any attention. Sabai on the other hand, is 'neatly' tucked in its corner beside the lift. Though furnished with striking red walls and interesting artifacts and paintings, the atmosphere seems contrite and slightly pretentious. But once seated, service is excellent, where the captains are friendly and wait staff brisk to your table with just a brief eye-contact. My water was consistently refilled at every interval required, no hand-gesturing needed.

Touted one of Singapore's most up-market Thai restaurants, the food, needless to say, was truly fine. We ordered one of my favourite Thai appetisers growing-up - rice cakes with creamy mincemeat and prawn sauce. There was a momentary lapse into nostalgia as I bit into my rice cake with the creamy coconut sauce. The flavours were so intense and fresh, I almost felt like ordering another one.


Our Appetizers: Crispy Rice cakes with Creamy Mince Meat Sauce and G's usual order of Tom Yam Gung to fire up the taste buds and the appetite.

Our first dish was the Thai Green Curry Chicken which came with a complimentary dish of salted fish. The curry was thick, fragrant and abundant with vegetables and chicken. It wasn't spicy as promised by our wait staff, but it was definitely very tasty with a mix of Asian spices and flavour. The next dish was less impressive. The minute the fish arrived, the two of us just knew we should have ordered our fish as a whole rather then in slices. Though the portion did not justify its price, the fish was nevertheless fresh and the spicy sweet sauce was quite good. I couldn't handle too much of it though.

The grilled honey pork ribs was the star of the night. When the waiter served the dish, I thought we made another wrong choice because the ribs looked a little plain and tough. But as I poked a rib with my fork, it literally seared through the meat, effortlessly tearing the meat cleanly off the bone! The ribs were so unbelievably tasty - smoky and sweet and soft. Toss in some sweet sauce and garlic chili, the ribs were really addictive. G tasked me to finish the rice cakes and the ribs, which I would have done without much persuasion. The food was definitely in another league from the likes of Thai Express or Siam Kitchen but I still haven't decided if it was worth it.

Thai Green Curry with plenty of water!!

Fried slices of Garoupa with special spicy sauce


The super soft Honey grilled Ribs

We both had absolutely no room left for dessert. But the dessert buffet table was hard to say no to. For $7.50 you can have ample helpings of fruit, kuehs and authentic Thai desserts in all types of cute and small shapes from the array of shiny silver platters at the buffet counter.

I must say, Sabai really takes pride in serving fine Thai dishes. The water chestnut dessert that G had was really creamy and the freshness of the coconut could be tasted with each spoonful. But what truly qualifies them as exquisite, is the immense effort and extend they go to to make a simple dish such a pleasure and tease to the eyes and other four senses.

I really enjoyed my Thai immersion, even if it was for a short hour and half. - Now, on to burn it away with some shopping!

Sabai -Authentic Fine Thai Cuisine

391B Orchard Road,

Takashimaya Shopping Centre,

Ngee Ann City, #04-23,

Singapore 238872

Tel: 6333-8491

2 comments:

  1. Oh, i really like Sabai, I don't think I've had what you had, except for the pork ribs, but I really like the pomelo salad and the duck curry here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I so have to try the duck curry the next time then!

    Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete