Trip Down New Memory Lane - SICC Hong Yuen

I never really like this chinese restaurant much.
The food had always been ok, but it was the wait in-between dishes that got to the point of murder. So when mum and dad suggested dining there with the in-laws over the weekend, I was appalled. But the two dear souls insisted that things were different.

"They have changed the management, everything is better and different now!"coaxes my dad in excitement. Ok, fair enough, they were about 60% right.

Notorious for my impatience, coupled by my rebellious pride to be proven right about my assessments, mum pre-ordered.
We started with the Peking duck and, well that diluted my cynicism - it helped that they served the carvings 5 minutes after we settled into our seats - the point where I am most hungry at my meals. The skin was sliced light and crispy with only a minute layer of fat. The egg crepe was also thin and moist. Ooo, yum, I had like four pieces, trying not to think of how the juicy oily pieces of roasted heaven could be wrecking havoc to my arteries as I blog.

The beef and fish were good, soft, juicy and flavoursome for the former, springy fresh and crispy for the latter. I was a tad disappointed though that mum didn't order my favourite sweet and sour fish and my favourite dessert: egg white souffle with red bean (left with the old chef apparently).


Deep Fried Soon Hock with Soy Sauce


Spinach with 3 types of egg for Veg deprived hubby =)


Spicy Black Pepper Tenderloin


Mango Puree with Sago and Pomelo

In all, there is some decent standard and definitely remarkable improvement from the previous kitchen. Probably the only glitch was when dad told the wait-staff to slow down in serving up the dishes and they literally grind to a halt - and at our noodle dish for that matter.
I guess old habits, new or old management, dies hard =P

No comments:

Post a Comment