Yanqing's Shanghai Kitchen

My pictures have been piling up in my repository and it seems I am unable to think and wax lyrical as fast as I can eat and shoot. My mouth surely runs ahead of my mind... in more ways than one then, so it seems.

We paid a visit to YanQing's during one of our slow week night dinners.
G was certainly reminiscing of the time we were in Shanghai and he visited one of the truly authentic Shanghainese restaurants that served cold drunken chicken and their signature braised pork belly. Though on the pricey side, these items can be found in the menu alongside several other interesting dishes. We also ordered a few other signature recommendations like the crab meat beancurd, and cod fish in with crab roe.


I must say I wasn't terribly impressed by the dishes, some of them are an acquired taste I guess. The fish and crab meat beancurd is very good though. The richness of the crab roe and the freshness of the juicy crab meat adds such a flavour to both the soft beancurd and the light and springy fish. The total of four slices of pork belly served, were very generously laced with fats, so that scared to me death. But it's worth trying, pairing it together with the shell-shaped steam-buns.



Though we ordered quite a few items, they were all rather small in portions and was hence just enough for the two of us in quantity and satisfactory in variety. Be warned though, one really has to pay for authenticity and probably come in smaller groups so that you don't have to fight for portions and not faint too hard when it's time to get the bill.

Yanqing's Shanghai Kitchen
791 Bukit Timah Road (S) 269764, #01-01
Tel: 6463-2989 Opens: 11am to 2.30pm, 6 to 10.30pm, closed on Monday lunch










No comments:

Post a Comment