Victorian Tea and Cakes

Tea and tea cakes have some extinguish and pompous fluff about it, something extremely pretentious and pinkie finger curling over the teacup handle that makes it fun to enjoy once in one's lifetime. I had my immersion over the weekend.

The V Tea Room opened at the Esplanade mall over two years ago and has always remained an ideal cosy but opulent nook reserved in my little pink diary for tea and lounging with the girlfriends. It boasts an elegant Victorian theme decor with masquerade masks and golden framed paintings, exquisite tea china and exotic artifacts and collections.

Barely containing my excitement, I skipped straight to the tea cakes on display to examine the variety and range of rich and decadent sounding cakes. Everything just looked so exquisite and unique sending a tinkling buzz to my brain to awaken the sleepy cake giant suppressed.



Considering we came from a heavy dinner, G and I made a choice from their signature array of specially concocted teas. I went for my usual favourite - Moroccan mint and G went for a Masala Chai. Both arrived in small teapots enough for about three servings. The mint was strongly scented but not overpowering, just what I needed to aid the digestion required to come.
We ordered the recommended Bailey's Irish cream liqueur teacake with Gula Melaka ice cream on the side and the tempting Blueberry Premium Cake Melt.




The moment our sweets were served, we panicked. As much as they looked divine and impressive, they also looked extremely rich and heavy. The melt cake was something really interesting. The cake came already half melted and the buttery richness from the cheese and blueberries was enough to set me on a new kind of sugar high. The hazelnuts and strawberries added a nice crunch and flavour. The Bailey's teacake was a pampering treat. eluding a picture and delivery of luxurious pleasure. My only complaint was the Gula Melaka ice cream. Probably our own fault for expecting such an European tea-room, oozing with its Victorian charm to also excel in oriental Asian delights.

As much as I loved the enchanting fairy tale alter reality it creates, the 20 minute experience was certainly not worth a bill totaling over $80. Kind of a harsh jolt back to practical reality after the sugar high and delectable fancies.

V Tea Room
Esplanade Mall
8 Raffles Avenue #01-02/04
Singapore 039802
(65) 6333 1965

No comments:

Post a Comment